Sunday, June 24, 2007

Coming Soon: The Bratislava Slut Strut

Now is as good a time as any to mention the Bratislava Slut Strut tentatively scheduled for the last half of August.

Let me explain. I have this wonderful and outrageous American friend. She's one of the few Americans here I really like (many I tolerate, most I have no patience for). She has been my Diet and Fitness Muse: she lost a lot of weight a few years ago and reemerged lithe and gorgeous. I climbed on that bandwagon and the Spouse followed soon after, and now we are all much thinner.

Anyhow, she has always been even louder than I am about the competition here from the Slovak lovelies, although, rather than being intimidated by them, she is inspired. We'll be sitting outside at a restaurant, having a coffee, and she'll practically stop mid sentence and say, "LOOK! Look at that one . . . she's really got it!" And sure enough, some tall, cool drink of water will glide by, and we will toast her for being fabulous.

These beauties are compelling to look at, but I find myself in an awkward position sometimes. I want to stare, but not in a bitchy way. As Friend says, it's a matter of admiration, not hostility. I want to see what these babes are doing and if I can incorporate any of their techniques into my look.

I saw a great example of one of these yesterday as I was driving into town. She was wearing two little tank tops, a white one under a red one, a pair of white short shorts, and at the end of her mile long tan perfect legs, she sported the highest red stiletto heels I have ever seen. But not only were they absolutely fabulous red shoes, they were IRIDESCENT fabulous red shoes. Oh, how I coveted them, in spite of the fact my arthritic toe will not permit me to even try them on, much less strut down the street in them. Alas.

On a related note, the Spouse got checked out by a gorgeous piece of work on his birthday. We were walking together through a parking garage on our way to pay. A 20-something woman, tall, slim, brunette, and very pretty, gave him a very obvious up-and-down and then SMILED at him. He was delighted (as he should be). I was, on the one hand, high-fiving him for turning a head and on the other, a little put out that she would do that in front of me. After all, what am I? Chopped liver?

But I digress. This is the stuff that fuels my friend's project: The Bratislava Slut Strut. The point is to not go without a fight. Not to be mutton-dressed-as-lamb, but to assert our sexuality and beauty as adult women with confidence. If you can't beat 'em, study 'em, learn from 'em, and join 'em.

We are officially in training for it. The event, which will take place on some to-be-decided summer evening in August, will consist of my friend and me and any other women over 40, expat or not, who feel fabulous and brave. We will pour ourselves into our most revealing and clingy summer dresses. Friend says spandex is key here. We will get our hair done, our feet manicured, our legs waxed. Our abs will be toned from a summer of crunches, and our tans (real or sprayed on) at their peak.

We will start at the Michael's Gate at one end of the historic part of Bratislava and there join the river of humanity that flows along the pedestrian zone, sashaying and feeling terrific. At the other end of town, our husbands and other good friends, men and women, will be waiting on the terrace of a favorite restaurant hangout with bottles of good champagne to celebrate us.

Let me know if you want to come along on the Strut or just join us for a drink.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is top star writing. Great humor! Any publisher out there? :) You Bratislava diaries would be great entertainment and fun even in paper format and u ve got a lot of material here!
Take care
Penny

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home